Friday, December 2, 2011

It's In!

36 Hours. Incredible how much has happened and what a turn around Michael has had. First, I'd like to say that Michael's transplant went great! He is doing well and resting, right next to me. Now, lets go back 36 hours. The effects of the chemotherapy along with the total body irradiation took a heavy toll on Michael's body. He had an extremely difficult night before his transplant, the effects of the treatments were definitely wrecking havoc with no mercy. Michael's temperature fluctuated all night long, it was controlled somewhat with Tylenol but yet at times he had spikes. Along with a host of other symptoms as well as weakness and body aches we both were up about every 30-50 minutes all night long. We both were exhausted and Michael could not wait to get into surgery. Nurses came in at 6am to give him a sponge bath with anti-bacteria soap to prepare him for surgery. Doctors started coming in around 6:30 to introduce themselves and give us information concerning the procedures they would be in charge of. Around 7:30am we were told that Joe was taken in for surgery. His surgery would last about 3 hours and he should then be in recovery for about an hour or two. Joe went into surgery perfectly relaxed and cool! No worries and calm. How wonderful, right? Michael was taken to his surgery prep-room around 11:30am. We were then greeted by a host of doctors and nurses, all introducing themselves as part of Dr. Leventhal's team. They were all wonderful and very thorough. While in there, Joe's surgeon came by to let us know that Joe was in recovery and doing well. He stated that his kidney had been processed and it was sitting in an ice water bath waiting for Michael. Amazing, right?  Dr. Leventhal was the last one to come by, he went over the procedure, and answered all our questions. Michael went back into surgery around 12:45 but  the surgery didn't get started until about 1:30pm. Micahel was still feeling the effects of the previous night but he was calm and ready to "get some sleep". At 2:30pm I received a call while in the waiting room by an operating room nurse, she stated that the kidney was in and Michael was doing well. At 3:30pm I saw Dr. Leventhal walking towards us, my heart started beating hard against my chest. He pulled over a chair and sat. Have you ever felt a heat rush through your body before getting some weighty news? From the time he sat down to the time he spoke his words, I felt that my whole body was engulfed in heat anticipating the words that he was about to speak. He finally said with a smile that Michael was doing good, the kidney started working immediately which was a great sign. Michael had the incubation tube still in because his lungs were having a bit of a hard time working on their own because of the anesthetics but that would resolve itself while in recovery. What a relief, I think I finally took a breath at that moment. Michael was in recovery until about 7:30pm. At about 6:30pm, I felt the anxiety rising in me again, they still had not released him from recovery. I have a hard time just sitting and doing "nothing", I blame my father for that (ha), so I rode the elevator to the 5th floor and once again asked how Michael was doing. They said they were waiting on lab results to release him from recovery. I told the nurse that I had to see him, that my heart ached to be with him and that I guaranteed he would feel better if he saw me! (Corny, right? But it worked and I was being truthful) She walked to the recovery room door and motioned to me with her finger to follow her.  I almost ran before she changed her mind! I gave her a huge hug and entered the curtained area she pointed to. Seeing Michael, immediately released that heaviness from my chest. He was still on oxygen but feeling better. He was a bit shaky but for just having an organ transplanted into him, he looked great! After his labs came in, showing his oxygen level was back in the low normal range, he was released from recovery while still using a nasal oxygen cannula. He arrived in his room in the transplant recovery floor around 8pm. We are all required to wear masks around him since his white blood count is low due to the chemo/radiation he has received. Joe, recovering extra-ordinarily well, walked over to see Michael and check on how "his" kidney was doing. It was so sweet seeing both brothers reuniting that way after such a special and paramount surgery. Yesterday was definitely a long, emotional, grace-filled day with much thanksgiving and gratitude. I'd personally would love to say thank you to Joe. His courage, starting from the day he offered his kidney, the stem cell transplant and the gift of his kidney which is all immeasurable. Not only for the gift of life he gave Michael, but his gift of serenity, calmness, peacefulness that he shared with everyone around him. He is truly a man who knows and exudes God's peace. Joe, I promise to help Michael take care of your kidney exceptionally well, my only concern is that it will adjust quickly to my Cuban cooking!

Joe ready for his surgery.

Michael waiting in the pre-op room.

 Michael and Dr. Leventhal talking before the transplant.


Two thumbs up as he is wheeled away to surgery.

 Joe and Heather, resting after his surgery.

 Anne and Harry with Joe after his surgery.

Joe: "My first meal with my one kidney"

 Michael and I after he was brought up from recovery.

The "kidneys" reunite for the first time. 

Transplant is now behind us. We are so grateful to all our friends and family members who prayed without ceasing. We are so thankful to have you in our lives. Next step in this process will be the stem-cell transplant, one more round of chemotherapy and then we wait to see if Michael's anti-rejection medications can be reduced ever so slowly until he is free of them. This reduction process can take about a year. It's good to be over this major hurdle and we did it with you. You are not alone, and neither are we.

God's blessings, Lilly :)

1 comment:

  1. This blog was particularly awesome and heart-wrenching, Lil. You made us cry! Thank you for your transparency in all that you felt. What an emotional time. Yes, the worst is behind you and there is a bright future ahead. I honour Joe for so willingly helping out his kid brother. What a hero! Great photos too! We love you!

    ReplyDelete