Thursday, December 15, 2011

Friends and Family

I'd like to start this blog by saying a heartfelt "Thank You" to all our friends and family who have been so supportive, caring and have prayed for Michael. God gives us friends and families, to let us know He is near and to show His love and care through them. Yesterday evening and today have been the worst days for Michael. He has suffered so much pain, has gone through such a difficult time and it seems like time has stopped here, at a point where there are more questions than answers. I'm angry. Appropriately. Its senseless that this caring man who loves to make others laugh and make them forget their troubles should have traveled the road of pain and agony he did today. A new symptom erupted today, he was needing to relieve himself every 5 or so minutes! The pain was excruciating and he texted Dr. Leventhal. A new catheter was put in him today, there is no need to describe how painful that was for him. After several hours of having the catheter in, it became evident that the pain was not going away. The pain would hit him in waves of searing torture to the point he had to scream out in pain. Michael is not a "wimp" when it comes to pain and he is NOT a complainer, I have no doubt that he was in complete torture. The pain would leave him breathless and weak (he was on pain meds but they were no help). The nurses hearing his cries from their station, called Dr. Leventhal who came by to see Michael. Dr. Leventhal suspected that the ureter stent that was placed in Michael during surgery was what was causing the pain. A ureteral stent is a small, soft, tube about 10 - 12 inches long and about as big around as a coffee stir stick. It is placed in the ureter, which is the tube that drains urine from the kidney to the bladder. The purpose of the stent is to hold the ureter open and maintain proper drainage of urine until the surgical connection between the transplanted ureter and the bladder heals. It normally stays in for about 6 weeks. Michael's was removed today due to the pain he was in, it was only in for 2 weeks. When I asked if this would hinder the area from healing I was told, "he will be closely watched". Of course, this wasn't enough for me so I "Googled". I read several kidney transplant forum's where patients had their stents out as early as 1 week. So, I'm not feeling so anxious about the non-answer. Michael just came from having an abdominal scan, the reason? Another symptom was noticed, redness in his flank. The Infectious Doctors (could be the name of a movie!) noticed the redness and to rule out anything serious they ordered the scan. While writing this I received a text from Michael, "scan was all good"! Thank God! He is feeling so much better after the stent was taken out. Today they put in a line so that when he is released he can continue with his IV drip of antibiotics. Again, they haven't said he has an infection but they are continuing the antibiotics at the hotel. I personally feel that they must suspect some sort of infection since Michael's WBC is still only at .6. It's truly been a roller-coaster of emotions the last couple of days. We are just looking for a breather, a restful night, normal urination, no fevers, returned appetite, renewed energy. Today one of my oldest friends was in Chicago for training and she stopped by to visit Michael. Leslie and I worked together for probably the best company ever until it was acquired and they ruined all the fun! I have known her since my early 20's when I started working for a local software company. We worked together through our pregnancies and she was one of the best bosses I have ever had! I always looked up to her and always tried to model myself after her when I was in positions of authority through-out my work experience. She was fair, intelligent, cool, balanced and friendly. She expected everyone to put in an honest day's work and we did it gladly because she understood the value of showing appreciation to your employees. Here it is many years later and she is in Chicago for training, she had been following my blog and she stopped by to see Michael "for me". She is still an amazing woman - so thoughtful and caring. I can't thank God enough for the friends He has put in my life.

Into Scan for Flank Redness.

"Scan was all good"

The Stent....we paid for it, so we are keeping it! We might torture it a bit. 

Leslie ~ Mon Ami

15 Days Post-Transplant. We are not alone, and neither are you. Honestly, its been a very difficult two days but I can't express how much love and support our friends and family have shown. We were not made to be "alone".

God's Blessings.  Lilly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment