Monday, December 12, 2011

If Only Time Could Fly

I left Chicago with a heavy heart on Saturday night. It was difficult coming home and knowing Michael would not be with me. It was difficult to know that I wouldn't be there for him, to walk the rest of this journey by his side. It broke my heart. I slowly and quietly released some of the pain while I cried as the plane took off and the city beneath me became smaller, until it was only tiny lights that shone like stars in a dark winter sky. That was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I felt torn inside. When the plane finally landed in Tampa, my daughter Jill greeted me with a huge hug and kiss at the gate. She has always been a ray of sunshine to me. She is petite, has a contagious laugh, great sense of humor and spunk. She has been a cheerleader since the age of 12 and now at 20 she volunteer's as a cheerleading coach at a local high school. Cheering is in her blood. Though Michael is not her biological dad, they share some great qualities and get along fabulously. I couldn't ask for them to have a better relationship, I know they love one another and we are truly a family without seams. Jill chatted with me all the way home, it was so good to see her. She is a really great daughter who has always been responsible and has never given me a bit of problems. I don't know what I did to be so blessed with my Jilly Bean! When I arrived at home around 11pm, I went directly to bed and slept for 12 hours! If anyone knows me, they know I don't ever sleep in but my body must have really needed it! On Sunday, I spoke to Michael who indicated that he was having a hard time passing urine. Of course, anytime after having a kidney operation not being able to pass urine is not what you want to experience. I became worried because Friday night we had seen blood in his urine, was all this a coincidence or did it all add up to something? Around 10pm that night I received a text from Michael stating that his parents took him to the Emergency Room, he was in excruciating pain when he would try to pass urine and now he was only producing about an ounce. I tried to calm my racing mind and I assured him it was probably just a Urinary Track Infection. Time seemed to stand oddly still as I waited for him to give me updates. Finally around midnight he stated that the ER doctors were thinking it was a UTI but that a urine culture had been ordered. About 1am Michael called and said that Dr. Leventhal had admitted him into the hospital and that they would be doing a bladder and kidney ultrasound to make sure they were both working as they should be. I finally fell asleep and when I woke it was 7am and I sent Michael a text to see how he was doing. He said that both ultrasounds came back normal, Thank GOD! But now, the doctors were not convinced that it was a UTI, they were going to run a 2nd urine culture. One of the doctors who came to see him thought that maybe Michael's urethra was damaged when the catheter was placed after his surgery, this would explain why it was so painful for him to relieve himself. They also discovered that Michael was extremely dehydrated and this would clarify why he wasn't creating a lot of urine so they started a fluid IV right away. Along with the fluids, he was given a blood and platelet transfusion to increase his red blood cells and Neupogen shots to increase his continued low white blood count. He is receiving exceptional care and I can't imagine him in a better place. I spoke to Michael about an hour ago and he sounded so much better. He was producing more urine and though it was painful it wasn't as severe. He also had the energy to walk around the hospital floor two times. Though this might seem like a set-back, I choose to see it as God's way of giving Michael the care he needs right now. My friend, Shelley had on her Facebook page "Choose Joy", today I am "Choosing Joy" and thanking God for being with Michael through-out this and providing him wonderful care through the hands of great doctors and nurses.  

Daily measurements that have to be logged and reported to doctor at each visit.

Red Blood Transfusion due to the Chemotherapy treatments he received.
 Platelets as well.
 Current status of Patients that have participated in this study.
 Results for Chimerism (When the body reaches a hybrid system)
11 Days Post Transplant. Today we "Choose Joy", I hope that you join us in this. You are not alone, and neither are we. 

Blessings, Lilly :)

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful update, Lilly. We honor you, for encouraging others as you go through this valley with such an amazingly positive attitude. We join you in choosing joy today.
    Love & prayers from Aunt Marg & Uncle Rudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we watch our son sleeping in his hospital bed, hooked up to I.V., we look forward to bringing him back to the hotel (his home away from home in Chicago). There are serious strains of viruses in the hospital and he is safer at the hotel in a more self contained environment. God is being so good to our family and we will be forever faithful.

    ReplyDelete