Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kidney Transplant - 21 days away.

My heart pounds as I write these words, tears mist my eyes.  My husband Michael left our home in Tampa for Chicago two days ago, he will be preparing for a kidney transplant that will take place on December 1, 2011.  He was accepted to be part of an organ transplant study at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.  The study is investigating the potential use of stem cells to help reduce or eliminate kidney transplant patients’ reliance on anti-rejection medications.  Where do these stem cells come from? The donor. Michael's loving and giving older brother Joe will be giving the ultimate gift.  Joe is a quiet man, pensive and kind.  He lives in a beautiful part of Canada called Niagara on the Lakes with his wife and 3 children.  He will be separated from his family and friends as well as his job as a high school teacher for a few weeks as he goes through the process of the stem cell harvesting and kidney donation.  He is such a compassionate man, I wonder if he notices what a pronounced gift he has so willingly offered. This, I believe is the epitome of a sacrificial gift. At times we feel that "Thank You" is not enough when we receive a small favor, so we go out and buy someone a gift, but in this case "Thank You" holds so much value and weight, there is no "thank you gift" appropriate enough.  

Currently, transplant recipients must take immunosuppressive drugs the rest of their lives in order to avoid the body rejecting the new organ, but these medications present the risk of many side effects, including infection, heart disease and cancer. By transplanting stem cells from the kidney donor into the recipient, researchers hope to determine that the stem cells will develop in the recipient's body and function to prevent rejection of the new organ, allowing the immune system to accept the organ as its own.  It truly is cutting edge medicine and if you know Michael, you know he is a bold and courageous pioneer. When Michael found out he had PKD, he spent months searching for the very best way to treat this, head-on and aggressively.  His battles have been tenacious, his positive attitude unwavering. He will beat PKD, I have no doubt in my mind.  I'm so immensely proud of this man I call my husband, Michael.

2nd day at Northwestern Memorial, initial blood work-up for both Michael and Joe. This is just Michael's!





Surprised Michael and Joe with chocolate covered strawberries and bananas. 





21 days away.  Why this blog?  I'm home in Tampa, he is in Chicago.  I won't be joining Michael until the day before his transplant.  This is my way to spill my emotions, recount our story and hopefully give hope to others in our situation.  You are not alone, and neither are we.  


God's blessings.  Lilly :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment